Friday, December 11, 2009

Peace in Letting Go

Peace in Letting Go
Peace - Week Two - Saturday

“Rejoice in the Lord always, I will say it again, Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Phil. 4:4-7

On a warm summer day in the late 80s I boarded a plane in Chattanooga, TN headed for New Jersey to spend a much anticipated two weeks with my friend and roommate of many years. She lived close enough to New York City for us to drive in several days to shop, see a show, and fulfill my lifelong wish of seeing the Statue of Liberty. We would also drive to Philadelphia and see the sights there and spend some time with her parents. I had been excited about everything about the trip for weeks, except for this….riding on this airplane to get there. I had flown as a small child and maybe one other time but it always made me nervous and uneasy. I know people who love to fly, who look forward to the surge of energy from the plane as it levels off in its designated airspace and who enjoyed peering out the small windows to look at the tiny world far below. For me the greatest feeling of excitement would be when I felt the wheels touch the earth again and I knew the worst thing that could happen was to hit another plane as we taxied in to the airport. I thought I could probably come out of that type of accident okay.

I moved into my assigned seat by the window. I had requested a window seat, not to look at the billowy clouds as we ascended, but so that I could be the keeper of the window and have the option of shutting the shade when I decided it was scary. I fastened my seatbelt and clutched my bag tightly in my hand and waited. After a moment a man in a business suit joined me on the aisle seat, gave me a cursory nod and smile and fastened his seatbelt. The plane finally lifted without incident and when I was sure we were finished with turning and lifting and maneuvering I pulled out my book and began to read. I read several pages, glancing around me and out the window from time to time when I heard a chuckle come from the man beside me. I looked up from my book only to see him looking directly at me.

“You know,” he said, “You can lean or move in any direction and it really does not affect the balance of the plane.” This man was MOCKING me! I looked at my hands carefully holding the book straight out in front in me. With his book he mimicked how I had turned the pages without moving anything but my one hand and then imitated me turning my head only slightly to look all around the plane. I wanted to be mad but a laugh escaped as I looked at his head held rigidly erect but eyes looking at me out of their corners, but looking, nonetheless. He cocked his eyebrow, awaiting a response.

“Are you very sure?” I countered and he too, began to laugh. He suggested that we simply trust the pilot who had navigated this route many times and not worry about it. As radical as that sounded to me I agreed and we had a nice chat the rest of the trip.

As strange as it may sound to you I could not have a peaceful trip on that airplane until I gave up my ability to in any way control the success or failure of that flight. How silly is it to think that on a great jet plane, my movement of my hands or head could in any way affect the plane’s ability to function properly? In that same way, so many of us have no peace because we expend a great deal of energy trying to “help” God be able to handle His flight plan for our lives. Even our prayers are often directed at showing God the way to handle His plans for our lives. We don’t have enough trust in Him to successfully navigate us through clear or troubled weather. We simply don’t trust.

On that flight there were a few things I was asked to do. I could not smoke in the bathroom. I could not be up walking around if the light was on that said to remain seated. I had to put up my tray and have my seat in a fully upright position when the plane began its descent. Oh, and if I was seated at the wing, I had to open that door for the other passengers if the plane did indeed crash. The pilot would take care of everything else. I just had to follow the directions he had given me.

The same is true with our Lord. He gives us some simple instructions and all we have to do is follow them. We don’t have to try to do his job. He knows where the air will be choppy before we get there. He knows how to navigate our lives in a way we could never do on our own. We simply need to trust Him to do it. “And the peace of God which transcends all understanding will keep your heart and mind in Christ Jesus.” Why don't you find peace in letting go this Christmas?

Discussion Question

What areas are you trying to maintain control of in your life and the life of your family? What things can you give back to God this Christmas?

Family Activity

If you have a fireplace or fire pit or anywhere to have a small fire this is a great activity for your family. Each family should take a pinecone and a sharpie. Think of the things you need to let go of…things you have been trying to control that you need to give to God. On the petals of the pine cone write down these things. It can even include people that you keep trying to “fix”. When you are finished, throw it into the fire. If you do not have a place to have a fire, bury them or put them in a big box and wrap it and put it under the tree with a tag that says, “To God”. Just don’t take that gift back.

No comments:

Post a Comment