Saturday, December 12, 2009

Real Joy



Real Joy
Joy - Week Three - Sunday

Oh give thanks to the LORD; call upon His name; make known His deeds among the peoples! Sing to Him; sing praises to Him; tell of all His wondrous works! Glory in His holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice! Seek the LORD and His strength; seek His presence continually! I Chronicles 16:8-11

Just about a year ago I became acquainted with a family that would become very dear friends of mine. I met them when Tim and I headed to Nashville to take our first peek at a Stone Soup ministry which is our ministry to families with children with differing needs. When I met Lynn and Ross I knew I had met folks whose heart beat in tune with mine. Their love for the ministry God had called them to was evident…as was their love for one another. When I met them Lynn was already fighting a full assault battle with cancer. In the weeks that followed, as we were in preparation to begin Stone Soup here in Monroe, I was in a position to witness what was transpiring in that battle. I often would call to ask questions and would hear Lynn in the background with the constant cough she had at the end. That did not stop her from piping in and giving me instructions and ideas and godly advice as we moved forward. Lynn was not the only one in this battle. Ross fought hard alongside her. I know that those last weeks were tough on the whole family and yet, each time I called and said, “How are you?” Ross would answer with one word….blessed. I knew they were experiencing long nights, multiple trips to the doctor, nausea, and so many other things. No matter what Ross shared about how the prognosis looked his heart held a certain joy. When God brought Lynn to her new home in heaven, I called Ross to express my support and prayers in his time of sadness. When I asked how he was…you guessed it, he told me he was blessed. He was glad Lynn’s pain had ended. Shortly after I would attend the memorial service where Lynn’s family would laugh through bittersweet tears as they remembered her.

The Bible speaks of rejoicing 183 times and joy 155 times. It speaks of joy in hard times and joy in good times and joy that comes in the morning. Joy is a funny thing. We look at it like happiness but it comes from a much deeper place. Joy is not dependent on the things that are happening around us. Joy happens at funerals through the tears and at weddings and at births of new babies. Joy happens in hospitals and on battlefields and in prisons. Joy is not external. Joy is something that comes from the Lord. I can be happy because I got that really great present I wanted. I can be happy because my friends took me out for a really fun evening on my birthday. I can be happy because I have a new outfit or a new cell phone or new friend. But I can have joy when no one brings me presents and no one asks me to hang out with them. I can have joy in my old clothes with my old cell phone and with my old friends.
We have true, unshakable joy when it is comes from our relationship with Christ. Joy is knowing that God has got it all under control. It is seeing our own personal situation change from day to day and knowing that God never changes. Christmas might be different for many this year. This is a year when many have lost jobs and have to really tighten their belts. When you are counting pennies to pay for groceries there is not a lot in the pot to buy presents for under the tree. This Christmas rejoice. Hold on to the joy you have in the Lord. Don’t look around...look up!

Discussion Question

What makes you happy? What makes you unhappy? How can you find joy no matter what things are tough in your situation in life? Acknowledge the things that might be different this year. How can you make sure your joy stays in tact?
Family Activity
Take a moment to worship together using the steps in tonight’s passage of Scripture.
Give thanks to the Lord – Take turns thanking God for the things you are thankful for in your life.
Make His deeds known among the peoples – Each family member share with the others something special God has done for you.
Sing a praise song together
Tell of all His wondrous works – this can be anything God has done (creation, salvation, etc)
Glory in His holy name – Think of all the names you can remember for God and Jesus
Rejoice – Tell someone else about the joy you have in Jesus
Seek the Lord and His strength – Ask the Lord for strength for the things you might be facing this week.
Now continue to do this in your hearts all week!

No comments:

Post a Comment